The Escalon Unified School District Health Services Department serves as a resource for students, staff and families and aims to promote health and wellness. The nursing services team is comprised of a registered nurse (RN) with a valid credential in school nursing and a public health certificate as well as a licensed vocational nurse (LVN). A major focus of nursing services is the prevention of illness and disability, as well as the early detection and correction of health problems. Nursing services have an important role in general education, special education, care of illness and injuries, and student and staff wellness. Through health promotion and prevention, the Escalon Unified School nurses help ensure that all students learn at high levels.
Some of services provided include:
- Vision and hearing screenings
- Health and development assessments and evaluations of students to help identify specific physical disorders and other factors relating to the learning process
- Communication with primary care providers
- Individual health care plan design and implementation, guided by the student’s physician, to meet the needs of the student
- Interpretation of medical and nursing findings appropriate to the student’s education plan and recommendations to personnel directly involved
- In-service training for teachers, administrators, and staff
- Student and parent counseling regarding health related attendance problems
- Assistance to parents, pupils, and school staff to understand and adjust to physical, mental, and social limitations.
|Heather Smallwood||District Nurse|
Contact the Health Services Department at (209) 838-8910.